Wednesday 27 November 2013

Radiotherapy

Unbelievably, I'm one week three days into radiotherapy treatment and so far, so good. To be honest, anything would have been better than the last few months. I'm still feeling pretty battered physically, with achy body, fatigue and various other ailments, but I can't tell you what a relief it is to feel 'well' (so far) on this part of the journey. Drs and friends have told me this would be a walk in the park compared to chemotherapy (last time I'm writing THAT word!) so long may it last.

Basically, I trundle off to Cheltenham each day for my appointment at the oncology centre - mostly around 11am - do my thing and trundle home - occasionally sneaking in shops or lunch! Luckily I've had lots of lovely people for company - friends, Mum and Wayne and I have driven myself a few times too.  Either way it isn't too far and it’s an easy drive. On the first day, there was a slight hiccup - a waiting time of 3 hours (sigh), second day it was an hour and a half wait but, since then, I've been pretty much on time give or take 10 minutes. Once I'm through to the treatment room things actually move pretty fast: Strip from the waist up (so brrrr in this weather!), onto the bed and then the positioning – it’s this that takes the most time. 2-3 nurses (with freezing hands!) adjusting you to line up tiny ink tattoos on my body (which were done during a planning session 2 weeks ago) with the machine. Next the radiotherapy, which takes literally a few minutes and is painless. Then speedily dress to warm up, ha.

If anyone is interested in reading more, here is a link from the Macmillan website.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Radiotherapy/Externalradiotherapy/Externalbeam.aspx

Side effects so far.......well, I'm pretty exhausted but trying to rest in the afternoons - in between swimming lessons, rainbows, school Christmas fairs and plays! My skin where they blast  is starting to get a little red and itchy - they explain it will feel like sunburn. Otherwise, as I said, I'm doing A-ok and have perked up lots over the last week - not nearly so tearful and generally feeling more myself. Slowly, slowly but long may that last too!

So, this is basically my life until 18th December......let’s hope it all continues to go smoothly.

1 comment:

  1. Thoughts from Mum...................
    As we come into the last week of Nicola's treatment I can feel a slight loosening of the anxiety and strain that has been in me for some months - April, when the diagnosis was made, seems another lifetime away and our world fell apart. As a mother the shock and pain that this was happening to my daughter and not to me felt quite wrong and was difficult to come to terms with. Watching Nicola going through chemo was painful and heart breaking - she was so brave and determined. Then came - what can I do to help? what CAN I do? just wanting it to be better and go away. Looking up all the things that might help - supplements, foods, drinks, herbs, taking anything I thought might help and presenting it to Nicola even if she could barely get a few crumbs down her, spending a morning making a chicken broth - organic - ferrying it over to her. One way that I AM able to help is happily the good bit - I get to see more of my beautiful grandchildren, Tilly and Lila, looking after them as and when needed. Tilly and I have had a lot of fun on her weekend visits!
    It will be just so special to sit down with all the family for Christmas dinner knowing all the treatment is behind us. Nicola can go into the New Year recovering, getting herself back to her usual strength and wellness. Wayne also can get himself back! he has been amazing looking after his 3 women and just being there. I have come across some wonderful friends of Nicola and Wayne supporting and helping in so many ways.
    Here's to 2014, and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to travel this journey with me.