Friday 7 June 2013

Cornish cure

Thursday 27th May

More cancer kindness from the heart, in the form of a house in Cornwall for 4 days thanks to some old family friends, Paul and Gill. Mum, Sarah, Anna and David have made it all possible for Wayne and I to sneak off for a few days sans children. I am so grateful but equally sad that it comes under the shadow of C. However, an opportunity for us to have some time, to stand still and listen… to the peace and quiet, to the birds, to the sea, without interruption, yelling, shouting or pestering. An opportunity for me to rest, gain more strength and, most importantly to me, rekindle our love, which sadly has got lost, lost in this crazy unforgiving world of C.

Don’t get me wrong, it was hard to wave goodbye to happy little Lila, hard to drop Tilly off to stay with her buddies, big Edward and Megan, on the way but I knew this was right, right for us both and right for the children to gain a stronger mother. At first, it felt strange – no kids in the back of the car, no “are we there yet?” But we soon adjusted and I began to feel quite liberated at the thought of having some time with my husband, some time to myself. We arrived at the beautiful house overlooking the shimmering sea and I could instantly feel the tension being lifted away from my body. Such a healing place, so magical, so tranquil, like Enid Blyton meets Camomile Lawn. I love this place.

View from house


Local National Trust beach


Evening in Porthscatho


The next day was glorious sunshine and awaking naturally without Lila’s yelling and Tilly’s footsteps was worth money. Priceless. Then followed a relaxed morning pottering, writing and sunbathing (the smell of sunscreen almost edible), watching the swallows darting back and forth, busy busy busy. Followed by a coastal walk into Porthscatho. Just delightful and mindful – at times! We pitched up on a beautiful beach on the way home and I took in the scenes, feeling quite smug watching all the families - toddler meltdowns, almighty amounts of paraphernalia, family squabbles and stressed parents. A few giggles to myself. Then, however, karma… .lying on my back in the most beautiful setting, looking up at the clouds, watching them effortlessly floating by and, lo and behold, I suddenly see the outline of my cancer from the ultra sound screen in the form of a cloud. ‘Lobulated’ is the word they used to describe its shape. What a horrible word. Damn you C, how dare you invade my peaceful space when I was doing so well at trying to forget about you. Am I not to see skies in the same way ever again? It is truly unbelievable how C can meddle with your daily life without any invitation. At times I've even seen signs for things beginning with C and read cancer when it actually said something completely different. Or I've misheard people saying a word as cancer when they said nothing of the sort. C, I officially hate you - you have permission to just DO one now, out of my life, far away!


Despite this, it was still a memorable day followed by an evening in St Mawes. Such a pretty, charming spot. A well-earned special night together - pint of beer and fish and chips!

The next day, Saturday, little Tills arrived in the afternoon with A&D and we had a picture perfect picnic day on the beach. Bliss.




Despite now suffering from something called cording - Tight bands stretching down my arm and therefore unable to straighten the arm due to pain. Grrrrr (C world keeps on trucking, hey!) - Wound improving, soul truly nourished and longer lengths of time without C thoughts, I was ready to return home, ready to focus on the next steps – despite having to painfully prise ourselves away from the sunshine and scenery!

Morning we left, Ooooo, Ahhhhh!



1 comment:

  1. Wow..looks wonderful. :-) I'm glad you guys got to go away and spend quality time together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to travel this journey with me.