Tuesday 4 June 2013

Penny Brohn

Tuesday 28th May

When I was diagnosed with cancer (saying that still makes me wince!), I was made aware of this cancer care centre. Their slogan is: “Helping you live well with the impact of cancer.” In a nutshell, they provide physical, emotional and spiritual support to help you at any stage of your illness – also known as the ‘Bristol Approach’.

At first, I didn’t even want to look at their website - something to do with denial, I’m sure. However, further down the line, I had a sneaky peak and decided to give it a go. What did we have to lose? And it feels better to be doing something positive rather than nothing. I just had to persuade Wayne to come too. Don’t get me wrong, he’s open minded, always up for learning and new experiences, but just not sure hanging out in a cancer centre would be his favourite pastime. You see, one of the amazing things about the centre is that it’s not only for the person diagnosed with cancer but also for anyone who is supporting or caring for someone who has it. SO it could be beneficial to partners, family and friends. I personally found this so refreshing. Not many places consider the carers in these situations.

So, with Wayne’s support we booked onto ‘A taste of the Bristol Approach’. Apprehensive and unsure what to expect, we turn up and are welcomed with avocado and berry juice. Mmmm, surprisingly delicious. We then meet the group and get a tour of the building. I’m not quite sure what I was expecting but I was pleasantly surprised at the size and opportunities: 28 bedrooms, a sanctuary, music room, art room, large dining room, beautiful gardens with different areas to explore, a library, treatment rooms and a shop – far too easy to rack up a huge bill! At one point, it was a little tough though – it’s hard to explain but, as soon as we walked into the sanctuary, I felt a spiritual wave overcome me and the tears began to fall… again. Composing myself, I carried on the tour but have no idea what brought it on - perhaps the stillness of the room, the spiritual books, who knows but I’m now prepared if I go back. Then, a warm drink. Don’t try and look for sugar or coffee, as there is nada! Coffee is substituted with barley extract (had to giggle for coffee loving Wayne) and sugar is substituted with Xylitol – Alex take note…..its ‘tooth-friendly’ hehe. However, there was an amazing array of herbal teas – including redbush, so that obviously passes the test! Phew.

Our group included three breast cancers, one ovarian, one lung, two rare types of cancer and three supporters. We were the youngest, with ages ranging up to a friendly, elderly couple - the wife was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and her husband was there holding her hand. Very touching. The group seemed to be very touched by our story – I think when you add children everyone automatically feels sorry for you – and I was touched by everyone else’s story. Each person had their own struggle, their own story and their own way of coping. Very inspiring.

We then proceeded to have an overview of what the centre offered us. We were taken into a large sitting room with flowers, candles and circle of reclining chairs and footstools. Comfy and cosy – just my cup of tea. Starting with a relaxation journey, they even gave us blankets to snuggle up with. Needless to say Wayne was over the moon as he got horizontal again and proceeded to almost nod off. I looked over and tried not to giggle as he looked like he was in a cocoon. Just lovely.

We learnt about the history, about Penny Brohan, about making a difference to your wellbeing, tools to use and support available at the centre. All very interesting and useful knowledge but I’m starting to hate it when people talk about stress and its impact on your wellbeing. Has anyone with two young children tried to live in a stress-free environment? It’s surely impossible not to have some amount of stress with children – parenting has to be one of the most stressful jobs out there! So, I end up stressing myself out, thinking that my levels of stress are too high and I’m going to make my cancer worse. Stressed about being stressed. Ha, will have to work on this!

Lunch was watercress and spinach soup with wholemeal bread, followed by butternut squash fritata and three nutritious salads. Absolutely delicious. We both loved it.  After lunch, it was time for a session on healthy eating and nutrition - all very interesting. Things we all know but that get lost in our hectic lives.

“Eating what stands on one leg (mushrooms and plant foods) is better than eating what stands on two legs (fowl), which is better than eating what stands on four legs (cows, pigs, and other mammals).”

Chinese Proverb – ‘Food Rules’ by Michael Pollan (great refreshing read for anyone interested)

In my humble opinion, the PB centre is an authentic, peaceful, safe environment that allows you to be yourself and nourishes you to the soul. One of the things I took away from today is: no matter how sad, low or desperate you are feeling, there is always someone else worse off – either lacking emotional or financial support, suffering side effects from treatment, experiencing relationship difficulties or struggling to cope with diagnosis and the day to day living with C. I know it’s all relative but other people’s stories are humbling. Equally, there is another side: you can gain strength, positivity and knowledge from other people’s stories and experiences. Today I have achieved that. Today I have had some of my lingering questions about treatment and the future with C answered – not all of them but it’s been a helpful insight.

Wayne equally enjoyed the day - however, I’m not sure how much he’ll use the centre. As he explains, if he gets some time off, he would rather be surfing, cycling etc rather than hanging in the Penny Brohan centre. We will see I guess. He took great interest in the fundraising though – after all, rather incredibly, this centre is a charity and all support, therapies and residential courses are free.

http://www.pennybrohncancercare.org/

C whisper: I am yet to read this so can’t offer my personal opinion but lots of people spoke very highly of this book at the centre:
‘What can I do to help’ by Deborah Hutton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to travel this journey with me.