Tuesday 25 June 2013

Lets get wiggy with it!

C world continues to keep me busy - this time with the inevitable wig shopping. Apparently, C patients get offered an NHS wig at a subsidised cost but, being curious, I wanted to know what was on offer in the ‘private’ world of wigs. I can’t say I’ve been looking forward to it – mainly because I DON’T HAVE TIME TO GO WIG SHOPPING! I have much more important things to be doing with my time, like drinking green tea and hanging with my bestie, Lila! It’s just another big inconvenience in this loathsome world. However, (big sigh) I embraced it! Armed with a best buddy and instructions on how to find this damn place, we set off to Swindon (the fact that I am frequenting this place for various appointments is upsetting enough on its own - humph!). Well, could we find it? It took a bloody age – more time wasting. It’s located in the strangest environment - an industrial estate full of burly men who we kept having to ask for directions. Very surreal. We finally found the odd little office, off another office, off another office, in-between lots of men going about their daily duties! It all felt very random. Anyway, we pitched up and finally got our hands on the wigs – literally, every time the sales lady left the room, we made a dash for the mannequins, tried the wigs on, laughed hysterically and then desperately tried to get the wigs back on the right way before she returned! Childish I know but very funny. In between, we did serious trying on. I’m really not sure she knew how to take us though, ha! We had a good giggle and kept the tears at bay by concentrating on all the options: fringe, sans fringe, peroxide, black, red, Farrah Fawcett, the lot…

The plan was to get some photos up here of shocker wigs but I honestly look so ridiculous in most of them, they are too bad to post! So here’s the scoop……finally, I settled on a bob. In fact, Anna commented ‘that’s what you look like when you actually bother to do your hair’. Everyone that knows me knows I have no desire for hairdryers; straighteners or hair products, preferring the ‘just got out of bed look’ or ‘tie it up’ look! Having wanted something a little different – well, let’s face it, it’s the only time in your life you get to wear something out of the ordinary and life is kind of wild right now so why not wild hair? – I was persuaded that this was the one that suited best. At least I now know that a fringe looks ludicrous and red is not my colour! It’s not to say I won’t carry a shocker pink one in the handbag to sneak out every now and then though! Yes, maybe I should purchase a couple – one safe, one super fun! Although, after nearly falling off the chair at the price, maybe not! Who knew wigs are so bloody expensive? Damn you, C!

So, In the end, quite a hilarious day. Next step - have a think, make a purchase then learn all there is to care for a wig (you’d be surprised!). Then, look into scarves etc – honestly, I’m so cack-handed when it comes to things like this. I couldn’t tie a scarf round my head AND look stylish if I tried, so practice is most certainly needed in this area! After all, I have C chic to work on! But, most importantly, we need to take some time to talk to Tilly, to prepare her for the next steps and have some fun with da wig!

1 comment:

  1. Have you bought it yet, can we get a photo, especially of the shocking pink one you plan to carry around in your handbag??!! Have you told Tilly yet? X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to travel this journey with me.