Thursday 15 August 2013

Job done! - Weds 31st July

Hair has gone!

After a traumatic few days, on Wednesday I took a trip to Bristol Oncology Hospital to something called ‘HeadStart’.

In their words.....

'The HeadStart team are available on Wednesdays between 10 am-3pm to help and assist with head wear for patients experiencing hair loss. Drop in for advice and for a demonstration showing different ways to tie scarves. Hats and scarves are also available..'

In my words........

Bloody brilliant and so worth the journey. I went, sat down, cried - predictably - but I came out a different girl! With some lovely scarves, hats and creative wearing ideas. Not guaranteed to work but, hey, a girl can try! Furthermore, after the lovely, kind lady caught several clumps of hair from the back of my head (being a former hairdresser and BC survivor herself, she empathised greatly), she sent me off with strict instructions to shave my head that night. In fact, if I hadn't been up against the clock, I'd have found a place in Bristol to do the deeds there and then I think.

However, predictably, I continued to agonise over the decision for the rest of the day during a lovely afternoon out with Doha friends Alex, Tom et al while Tilly tried on all scarves and modelled the pirate look. Come evening time though, with the help of Wayne's 'gung ho' attitude ('yep let’s get this done'), we did the damage! I'm not sure who was more traumatised really – Wayne, I think, as I guess it’s not something you think you will ever have to do to your wife. However, after the initial gasp at the sight of the hair coming off, suddenly it went from tears to laughter and I felt instantly better. It was the previous days, watching the hair fall out, seeing the mess and making the G D decision that was all so bloody painful. Wayne did his best but we didn't quite make it to scalp because of scratchy clippers (and fussy Customer!) so dear Sarah was coming to finish it off the next day. 

And so, I never made it to treatment two with my hair but ventured out in a headscarf and actually felt fine - much less bothered than I thought. In fact, quite liberated to say the least! 

And this, my friends, is the end of the ‘hair falling out’ saga! No more chatter about this from now on. 'Huzzah', I hear you cry. Just one little ask though..... per-lease let the regrowth be less traumatic, ha ha!


Practicing the rosette/bun style. Although feel more like a 1950's housewife right now! Think gonna need a bit more time in the mornings Humph! 

Perhaps this is the way forward...??


And don't get me started on the cold head at nighttime! Although nothing that a wee willie winkie hat doesn't solve. Oh the passion! 

C whisper: Be prepared, the hair doesn't shrink away slowly, but falls within days. Quite a shock really. Definitely organise your wig before hair loss – it gives you peace of mind and saves you from racing around feeling 'green' and tired. 

Plus, a little skin note: the chemo seems to dry you to the bone - from the inside out, feet upwards, so my advice is to moisturise heavily. I can't thank my aunt Tessa enough for the REN rose facial oil I use daily - highly recommended. After all, a girl needs to try and retain a little youth after this gruelling treatment. Plus, rescue remedy lip balm - a must!





1 comment:

  1. A blue scarf with a perfect knot. Well done for embracing this new trend;) Remember to moisurise your head, apply sunscreen and have the odd indian head massage if time allows. Treat your beautiful head to some proper TLC. Rose geranium essential oil smells devine so plonk some of this around the place/ face/ head mixed with almond oil. It will chill your boots nicely x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to travel this journey with me.